EDDL 5131 Activity 2.3 Resource Analysis
Below is a YouTube clip on simple Rafter roof framing.
- The video capture is done using Camtasia and the modelling with Google Sketchup (with voice-over explanations).
- This is primarily a Computer-Assisted Drafting tool and it works well for all construction-related courses such as carpentry, cabinet-making, joinery, architecture, interior design, applied mechanics, et al. But because of its 3D component, it can be used for other subject areas where sketching helps to illustrate the lesson e.g. mathematics, chemistry, physics, and cooking. Camtasia has a wide variety of uses and can be used with other programs. http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html
- Google Sketchup is a basic tool that is well suited for procedural instructions. It does not do animation but it allows the imagination to fill in the gaps. Camtasia‘s powerful screen recorder will capture anything on your screen or it will import camera video, music, photos, and more to customize your videos.
- For the courses in the trades, the students (apprentices) are being trained to ready construction drawings and this type of presentation is well suited to their on-the-job experience.
- To produce video like this one, you would only need to add a headset with a microphone to your computer.
- The skills required to produce a video like this would be good familiarity and dexterity with the CAD program and lots of practice getting the voice-over synced with what’s happening on the screen.