Predicting The Solubility Of Salts
1. a substance is said to have low solubility if a saturated solution of the substance is less than 0.1 M.
2. Copper is special. It can form two different ions. Cu+ and Cu2+. Cu+ has “Low Solubility” when combined with Cl–, Br–, or I–
3. Cu2+ is “Soluble” when combined with Cl–, Br– or I–
4. Normally, the amount of glass which dissolves in water can be neglected and glass is said to have negligible solubility in water.
5. When two ions form a compound having “Low Solubility”, the mixing of the two ions will cause a precipitate to form. We can find out whether a compound is low soluble or not on the back of the book.
Please complete the following worksheet. You may also check your answes against the answre key.